Followers

12/11/17

Architecture unit with 2nd grade 

I was inspired to begin an architecture unit with 2nd grade because it would connect with what we have already done with printmaking and colllographs, but also, because they very much enjoyed working in printmaking last week. I got this book for free and it was a major inspiration. 





Inside was a book, a very useful chart and various stamps that if combined could be used to explore architecture. The stamps were tiny. Great for one person, but, for a class that would be impossible to bank on these materials. So I printed a few resources for students to choose from and make one stamp, larger, about 1.5-3" squared. 

Because I teach in Spanish I added the Spanish words for these building parts. They will come in handy when we begin writing about our structures. 





Here are just a few samples of the stamps we will be using next time to create a 2d rendition of an architecture design. 

I tested out various mediums to see which one gave me richer results. Printmaking ink was not a winner. Students would have to not only roll the right amount of ink on each stamp but also put equal pressure on all parts for the prints to come out successfully. 


Tempera paint was not only messy. I used a brush to apply the wet medium. But the same issues came up as with the printmaking ink. 


Last, I created a stamp pad using Styrofoam trays and felt. I poured India ink on the felt and it functioned very much like a giant stamp pad. The only thing is that students would have to be reminded to rock the stamp up, down and side to side for all sides to print. I will also find some wooden blocks to use as stamp handles, which will help in bringing equal pressure on all parts of the stamp. 

No comments: