Followers

9/10/09

My Conversation with 5th Graders About Watercolor


We have been exploring watercolors with 5th graders this week. Next week we will look at our explorations and pull some specific qualities we notice about this particular medium. What I noticed immediately was the level of calmness in the children while they painted and it occurred to me to ask them when was the last time they used watercolors. Most said years ago.
I encouraged them to get a watercolor set and added that it's a very portable medium. All they need is a sketchbook, a bottle of water and a watercolor set. They all seemed to like the idea. Their enthusiasm has made me shift my focus to painting and perhaps taking them on some outdoor painting opportunities once they gain more confidence in their skills.
See full size image





I encourage you as a family to try watercolors. I do it at home with my 2 and 4 year old and they can go on and on for over an hour. They learn a lot about evaporation, color mixing, and it's miles better than crayons or markers.
I would love to hear about your adventures in watercolor!!!

Oh! and if you are a watercolor artist I cannot wait to get you in my room to share your craft fast enough!!! PLEASE come visit my kids.

No comments: