Followers

2/9/12

Where's my child's art work?

I recently had a parent ask me why more art work is not going home weekly stemming from the art program. I see all kids at Murch 45 minutes a week. Each unit I introduce my take up to 4 weeks, sometimes more. A unit is a set of lessons based around one media. An example unit with a media might require (1) exploration with the media in our sketchbooks, (2) reflection on what we learned and created a shared resource wall and begin planning steps for a final project in that media. Lessons 3-4 often entail working on our 'final projects'. This may differ some from more 'crafty' art lessons that look good but carry little individuality and very little value in terms of building skills. When done, the project may be used to be displayed in the hallways or sent home. At this rate, parents may get work about every 4-6 weeks. But by no means, does this mean learning is not happening. I post on this very blog at least twice a week and at most three times daily with pictures and 'glimpses' of what is going on in the studio. In addition, I have an open door policy in my classroom. I welcome all parents to come and observe their children and the class during their child's art class. So, please take advantage of this and come join us and see for yourself what we are working on. My focus in the art studio is exposure and skill building in various true art media and building of ideas and concepts that stem from within the child and lessons that are meaningful to the child personally. I have a full curriculum for all grades posted right at my door. Please contact me if you have any questions at Miriam.Cutelis@yahoo.com.

No comments: