Followers

10/21/11

1st Graders were unspired by Keith Harings work to create their own visual narratives

The wonderful thing about teaching art is the constant back and forth inspiration we all get from each other. 2 weeks ago I watched a wonderful documentary on Netflix about Keith Haring. I was so inspired by his life and his works that I felt I should absolutely bring back his work and share with the children. Ms. Crawley, my student teacher and I sat down and talked about ways to connect his work with young children. We first showed the children some of Harings very simple works. See below:
The kids had an immediate connection with the work and began creating elaborate narratives just from the picture clues they observed. We then provided them with black paper and white oil pastels and asked them to create their own story without words. They were like duck to water. Their stories were quite amusing and imaginative and they were mindfully included loads of well thought our picture clues to help the viewer understand what was happening. These should be coming home this week or next week.

No comments: