Followers

9/5/09

Creating a Culture of Sketchbook-ing!!

If you are in grades K-5th, I'm sure by now you have gotten the notice that your child needs to bring in a sketchbook for art.


My goal at Murch is to create a culture of "sketchbook-ing". The sketchbooks will be used for anything from journal writing, scrapbooking to sketching.

I teach the children that artists are not the only people who carry around sketchbooks. Thinkers, architects, designers, writers, and just about anyone who values their own thought process carries a form of one of these.

Sketchbook-ing or journal writing, teaches that all great ideas start inside one of these raggedy notebooks and grow, grow, grow to become complex set of ideas.

I teach the children in class that in our sketchbooks we do not erase. We allow ourselves to make mistakes and learn from them. That way months from now we can look back and assess our own growth.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW - now that is a LOT of Sketchbooks. I have sketchbook envy! :)

I'm just about to start teaching Art/Textiles and am just outting together my 1st sketchbook as an example for pupils....


......it's so much fun that I can't get wnough of it :D